12/24/08

2008 Top 10.

1.) Work
I'm really surprising myself with the way this list turned out. It's a good exercise in assessing your year and how you've grown since years past. This is probably the biggest surprise. I could devote an entire blog and them some to everything that's whack when it comes to my job and the place I work, best believe. But aside from what I do and how we operate, having a steady and serious job with significant responsibility is good for my soul and occasionally leaves me feeling rewarded and self fulfilled at the end of the day. I've sort've realized that it's not whether or not you have a the job you went to college for RIGHT AWAY out of the gate but whether or not it enriches your core. Plus the salary is a nice upgrade from last year. We'll see what 2009 has in store for my "career."



2.) It's Alive
For all intents and purposes, this should have the number one slot. It's what keeps me looking for light at the end of the road. Without this band I would have next to no creative outlet, and nothing to really strive for from the heart. We've spent the year writing music I'm really proud. We'll be saying goodbye to '08 with a tribute set to one of our all time favorite's Integrity, and at the beginning of this new year, we'll be laying the new tracks down on wax to share our best with the masses. The icing on the cake is working with Reaper Records, the realest and hottest label on the rise in hardcore today. It's a big push forward from there.

3.) s.Bo
If and when she reads this she'll ask why she isn't no. 1. Which is what's great about her haha. So here's a nod and a wink on the personal, livejournal tip to SEB, her cat with three legs, and all the fun we've had in '08.xo


4.) Trapped Under Ice - Stay Cold
What can I say about this 7" that hasn't already been said? Hard? Check. Heavy? Check. Catchy and attitude filled? Check. It's the complete package and the most promising hardcore release I've heard since American Nightmare's debut EP. This band cannot be stopped and I'm siked to be label mates with Baltimore City's golden goose egg.


5.) iPhone (and going all Apple in '08)
This summer I bit the bullet and made the monetary plunge into getting an iMac. I haven't looked back since. iMac, iPod, and lastly the iPhone make the trifecta complete. I was doing alright with the Sidekick (still love it, would be my no. 2 choice), but everything flows so well in the iWorld I had to round everything out. Believe the hype, the iPhone will be the phone in which all others are compared to for YEARS. Blackberry, Trio, Google G1, none come close.

6.) The Dark Knight
I've never went so nerd over a new movie as I did for the Dark Knight. I think I followed sneak peaks, news, rumors, set photos, and just about everything else from the first time I saw the teaser trailer to the midnight showing I hit up in the less than awesome local theatres to ensure a ticket. Best movie of '08.

7.) Ghostface Killah
If there was any dispute that Ghostface was not only the most consistent member of Wu, but one of the best emcee's in the rap game right now, the man himself put it to rest in '08. He managed to release another great album (The Big Doe Rehab), a hilarious and entertaining spoken word CD/coffee table book, and brought the house down at Skidmore College (of all places) in the best live hip hop performance I've seen yet.


8.) Step Brothers
This is my runner up to the Dark Knight. High re watch value on easily one of Will Ferrell's best performances to date. This one was worthy of purchase on the day of release.

9.) The Cheesecake Factory
See the previous post for added proof. This may be why I'm carrying a little extra around with me this year.

10.) Metallica - Death Magnetic
You can refer to my whole tirade on this album and the critical responses surrounding it a few posts back. All critiques, hate, and love aside, personally, I think it's great to get some material from one of the greatest metal band's of all that isn't immediately worth discarding. Save your nostalgic claims of it being a tribute to what the band once was, I'm tired of hearing it.

Peace, love, and Reincarnage
K.

No comments: