11/19/08

"Notorious."


Anyone else put their hip-hop snobbery on the shelf to be really pumped for this? I haven't really come across much speculation on it one way or another so that's a good sign. Another thing this movie has going for it if your a skeptic is a relatively unknown cast (at least to me) save for Angela Basset as Voletta Wallce. You don't have to worry about Will Smith, even though I love the guy, playing Diddy or anything like that.

Based on the trailers it seems to span Biggie's entire life, making it more interesting to me. Mainstream biopic's on deceased musicians have turned out pretty well in my opinion thus far, as I've enjoyed Ray and Walk the Line immensly. The story should be pretty accurate if the filmakers have done their job, at least more accuarate than Walk the Line, considering they have a short and more recent history on their side.

I'm sure they'll be plenty of criticsm on this being "too soon," or "lame" for stupid reasons, from both reputable sources as well as hardcore kids looking to be seen as hip hop heads, but I'll be going opening night.

No comments: