1/19/09

Sick

So as the title surely implies, I've been ill in one way, shape, or form for the better part of the new year. It's starting to take hold mentally and in a nut shell, this winter is really mopping the floor with me. Not a good start to the new year, here's a timeline so that everyone can share in my experience if you've unfortunately missed out on this awesome season we're having....

1/1/09 12:ooAM - In bed with an upset stomach. This is the first time I'll mention that it's next to IMPOSSIBLE for me to throw up. I haven't done so in almost two years. I don't drink, I don't have the stomach of a girl (until recently), or an eating disorder. I guess wrote my own eulogy on this one. I just couldn't get behind the logic that ONE type of shellfish, amongst a solid half dozen causes me to get sick, yet none of the others cause me to bat an eye.

1/3/09 - We play the cover show and hammer 10 Integrity songs. I blow my voice out slightly, or so I thought. Really the stress of preparing for the show and the actual show causes my immune system to temporarily falter, allowing the chest cold that's been in my house since Xmas get at me. There goes my voice for a couple of days.

1/9/09 - Still hacking and coughing up shit trying to keep my throat clear for shows/practice. Overall the cold has stayed in my chest and I haven't really had a runny nose (knock on wood).

1/14/09 - So just when it seems like I may be kicking the cold I eat Bombers (fuck you forever). I get a jerk pork taco and a bbq chicken taco and INSTANTLY, and I mean before leaving that shit hole, feel fucked. I get home and blow up the toilet, get in bed and by midnight I'm running an temperature. Did I mention it's next to impossible for me to throw up. Rather than pure nausea my pain seems to be caused by some intense gas in my stomach. It's like I have to burp really bad but cant. I try sticking my finger in my throat, no dice. Finally around 3AM the Bombers in all of its shitty glory, finds its way into the small trashcan by the side of my bed. I spend the next 24 hours in bed with what I think was food poisoning.

1/16/09 - We have a show in New Paltz, about and hour and a half away. We should've cancelled, we didn't. Stupid. I've since held down honey nut Cheerios (with dairy), peanut butter crackers, Gatorade and Vitamin Water. I'm feeling pretty confident that my stomach is in a least mediocre shape. We play and I actually feel better afterwards then most sets...weird. I'm attributing it to the fact that it was 45 degrees in the venue and that I spent 24 hrs prior sleeping. Of course, I can't go out without a letdown. I cough up shit the whole ride home, the cold went on the d-low during the puking/fever marathon.

Today I feel average at best. My stomach still turns occasionally and I have persistent gas on both ends. The cold is still here but it's really loose in my chest at the moment. This winter has really shit the bed early on. It's been single digit temps for an entire week and it seems like every other day we're getting snow. I'm not usually a typical whiner about seasons, but I'm pulling for spring right now.

No comments: